- Nine? vitamins and minerals necessary for children’s growth and development.
Food Safety refers to handling, preparing and storing food in a way to best reduce the risk individuals becoming sick from foodborne illnesses.
- Definition of pesticides a substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.
Consuming pesticides that are left on the food can cause diseases to humans.
EU 1169/2011 for Europe While Consumers may be allergic or have intolerance to other ingredients, nly the 14 allergens are required to be declared as allergens by EU food law. The 14 allergens are: celery, cereals containing gluten (such as barley and oats), crustaceans (such as prawns, crabs and lobsters), eggs, fish, lupin, milk, molluscs (such as mussels and oysters), mustard, peanuts, sesame, soybeans, sulphur dioxide and sulphites (if the sulphur dioxide and sulphites are at a concentration of more than ten parts per million) and tree nuts (such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios and macadamia nuts).
FDA for US In US this is the big 8.
In 2013, as part of FALCPA, the FDA passed a ruling to establish the definition of “gluten-free” as less than 20 parts per million (ppm).
GMO food is very controversial when it comes to human health.
- Pros of GMO food
- GMO food can contain more nutritions becaus it is genetivally modified. Therefor is GMO considered more healthy.
- GMO food needs less to no pesticides because it is genetically modified. Because GMO foods require a lot less to no pesticides, they are a lot healthier than other food that needs a lot of pesticides.
- Cons of GMO food
- When GMO food is made, they put a small part of a DNA in the food that they want to genetically modify. With this part of DNA is the part with the DNA trait and a part of DNA that makes the cell antibiotics resistant, to be able to test which cell or organisms did get the new part of DNA and which one did not. They test the organisms or cell on antibiotics, and the organism or cell that are resistant to the antibiotics will survive. The organisms or cells that survive are the organisms or cell that have the right genetics and are genetically modified. Because GMO food consist (because of the testing) a part of DNA that codes for antibiotics resistant, human who eat the food can get bacteria, especially in the intestines that copy the antibiotics resistant DNA and become antibiotics resistant which makes infections more dangerous.
- Some allergies will occur in food where you don't expect it. When, for example, tomatoes are being genetically modified and the DNA that is used is from a nut, then people with a nut allergy will be allergic to this GM tomato.
In the western world the mayority of adults and children aged are overweight or obese. Treating obesity puts a huge strain on society. Children in Europe are consuming around three times more sugar than is recommended by the government and only a quarter of adults achieve their 5-a-day recommended portions of fruit and vegetables. Other issues the initiative aims to address include smoking, the leading cause of preventable illness and premature death in the UK, and oral hygiene.
Related reports and articles
Related Organizations & Initiatives
GFSI: The Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) is a non-profit association of industry experts committed to improving food safety along the value chain. The GFSI approves a number of food safety standards covering farming, packaging, storage and distribution.
Worker/personal wellbeing (from farmer to recycler)
Human wellbeing Living standards
Human wellbeing living standards are defined access to:
- Fair Trade / Decent pay